Thanks for printing! Don't forget to come back to Schulten Ward Turner & Weiss, LLP for fresh articles!
William M. Joseph
Email: [email protected]
- Georgia, 1991
- New York, 1985
- Massachusetts, 1985
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 1984, LL.M. in Taxation, 1989
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, 1981, B.S. Economics, concentrations in Accounting and Political Science
- Georgia Legal Elite, 2012-2017
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Areas of Practice
- Wharton Club of Atlanta
- University of Pennsylvania Secondary School Committee
- American Israel Chamber of Commerce Southeast Region
- Atlanta International Tax Study Group
Bill's experience includes corporate, partnership and international taxation, focusing on representing companies in mergers and acquisitions, spinoffs and joint ventures. Bill has structured private equity and real estate funds. Bill has also worked on structuring renewable energy projects across the United States. Industries that he has represented include airlines, telecommunications, food manufacturers, banking and financial services, health care, technology and venture capital. Bill has also successfully represented clients before the Internal Revenue Service and state Departments of Revenue on numerous occasions.
- Obtained a revenue ruling from the IRS designating a U.K. Investment Exchange as a "qualified board or exchange" under IRC Sec. 1256(g)(7)(C), the first such ruling issued in more than 20 years.
- Responsible for tax planning, tax disclosure and tax opinions in connection with the sale of a credit card processing company to a major bank for $2.1 billion. Responsible for tax issues, negotiation and documentation of the sale of a privately held food products company to a Dutch public company for more than $300 million.
- Provided tax counsel to a paper manufacturing company in connection with its tax-free spinoff from a large consumer products company. Drafted partnership agreements and tax disclosures for a $175 million private equity fund investing in medical device businesses.
- Structured a $300 million real estate joint venture between U.S. persons and Canadian pension funds.
- Provided tax guidance in connection with a 300 MW solar power facility in New Mexico.
- Was principally responsible for analyzing and obtaining Georgia tax incentives for a large consumer foods company opening new facilities in the state and prepared a management presentation to its Chief Executive Officer.
- Issued tax opinions to a drug manufacturer regarding New York sales and use taxation. Worked on all aspects of the sale of a for-profit nursing home group to a 501(c)(3) organization and obtained a ruling from the IRS on novel issues in connection with the use of tax-exempt financing in the transaction.